Kenya Children's Fund
This week's Prayer Cards:
This week we are praying for Gladys and Daniel. You can download their cards by clicking on the images below, or pick up a copy from the Welcome Table on Sunday.
To pray for Simon or Ian, you can download their cards:
The Kinyago-Dandora School Project is located in the slums of Nairobi in Kenya, East Africa. Kenya's population of more than 31 million has suffered greatly in the past few years due to epidemics of malaria, cholera and AIDS, and to a devastating drought that has caused mass starvation across the country. Over half of Kenya's population is under the age of 15 years. Nairobi has a population of more than 3 million with two thirds of the people living in the slums. Many Kenyans have limited education and vocational skills, and are only marginally employable, so they end up in slums like Kinyago-Dandora. Families live in homes of sticks and mud, stone or iron sheeting, many with no windows, electricity, running water or sanitation. Six to eight people (sometimes more) live in a room the size of an American dining room. There is no money for proper nutrition, health care, or school fees (required in Kenya). Many children are forced to work long hours at hard, even dangerous jobs to help provide food for their families. The average daily income for a head of household is less than a dollar a day.
Kinyago-Dandora Primary (KDS) and Secondary (KDSS) Schools
Kenya Children's Fund is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides children of Kinyago-Dandora the opportunity to be enrolled in an institution that offers education, nutrition and health care in a Christ-centered environment. The sponsorship costs of just $38 a month makes a profound difference in the life of a needy child. The children that All Souls is sponsoring are children that have already passed the rigorous middle school exams (not all children do) and have shown a dedication to learning. They are part of a group of 50 students from the community who could not afford the school fees at local high schools, so KDSS took them in.
There is still a need for more of these children to be sponsored, so if anyone would like to personally sponsor a child, please see Kathy Cathey or Elaine Hooker, or go to kenyachildrensfund.org to find out more.
An Exciting New All Souls Adventure in Kenya
The Missions and Evangelism committee (M&E) of All Souls has committed our church to sponsoring 10 new freshmen students in the slum of Dandora in Nairobi, Kenya until they graduate in January of 2016. This sponsorship will give them an excellent education at Kinyago-Dandora Secondary School (KDSS), 2 nutritious meals a day, and medical care. It will also give them hope as they work hard to overcome the hardships of extreme poverty through education.
Ways we can be involved:
- Write to any student any time. When students are sponsored, they do better in school. We can send letters/pictures to our children through Kenya Children's Fund, PO Box 4159, Hopkins, MN 55343-0499. Children can draw pictures, adults can write notes of encouragement, small things like stickers or bookmarks or small booklets can be included. (whatever can fit in a 5x7 envelope)
- Pray for the children - and they will pray for us, too! Each week we will feature 2 of the KDSS young people, and all the kids will be praying for 2 of our All Souls families as well! Check the Kenya info board each week to see who to pray for and which of us are being prayed for!
- Find creative ways to help collect money for special Christmas and birthday gifts (no more than $20-25 per child), Easter baskets of food for their families, or special needs they might encounter.
- Be a part of a video to send them! In January, Kathy's brother and sister-in-law will be going to the school to help with Teacher/Pastor training and teaching sewing classes. We will be making a video of our church and greetings from anyone who would like to say something. Then they will send us one back, so we can see them! If anyone has videography skills, please see Kathy Cathey or Elaine Hooker.
- Consider making a trip to Kenya with All Souls in January of 2016 to attend the graduation of the students, meet with them and their families, and bring encouragement to the Kinyago-Dandora community. A trip for All Souls is on the schedule at Kenya Children's Fund, so we can start praying about it now.